Autumn Hours:
Open Mon-Sat 9:00-5:00 and Sunday 10-3.

Our hours change with the climatic seasons  - always weather permitting. (Call ahead if it is snowing, or pea-soup smoke, just-in-case we've gone home.) We change the hours here and on Google, Yelp, Bing and Facebook (but Apple gets its info "elsewhere",  even apple is unsure where, so Siri is usually wrong).

We maintain a healthy supply of tropical and indoor appropriate houseplants and bulbs, indoor gardening gear, pottery, potting soils, organic fertilizers and nutrients, as well as seeds and seed-starting supplies. We also have every plant lover's favorite present: gift certificates from your local garden center.

Villager Nursery outdoor areas are open late-winter (Mar-April) through late December depending on snow persistence. Through mid-winter, someone is usually here, IN the shop, most days (paperwork, plants, and shop-cat needs love). We don't want to let anyone down, so if you need something (plant, product, plans, bids, or consulting) or have questions, PLEASE send-us an e-mail as we check them almost every evening - (PLEASE DO NOT USE Facebook messenger. It is unmonitored).  We'll usually get back to you in a day or two or as soon as we possibly can. You can also call and leave a voice message at 530-587-0771. We tend to be rather busy in our compressed spring (May-June) season and replies may take a bit longer.  contact us 

Check our Facebook Page, Instagram or the references page on this website for updates, informational sheets, class hand-outs and calendar updates. 

The best time to plant is today When a plant is placed in the ground properly (see Planting Instructions) the tissues begin adapting to the new location's light and humidity and wind  and temperatures. Roots make intimate associations with beneficial microorganisms who begin to colonize the root system to the benefit of the plant.  Deciduous trees and shrubs put-on almost all of their root system expansion while their tops are dormant. They grow roughly 80% of their new roots in the warmest soil and cool weather of fall and the other 20% throughout the winter, under snow.  It can be inconvenient to plant in the middle of winter, through snow or frozen soil, but the plants are almost always happier in the ground than they are in a pot.  

For 47 years, Villager Nursery Garden Center has been serving Truckee, Tahoe and regional high Sierra mountain plant lovers, landscapers and gardeners. Villager Florist started in the original Gateway Center (next to the Gateway Motel) in 1949 (73 yrs), added outdoor plants to the mix (becoming a nursery) in 1975, and relinquished the florist in 1996 to focus exclusively on the nursery.

 

Nursery Address

Villager Nursery, Inc
Varney / McIver Dairy House
10678 Donner Pass Rd. Truckee, CA
Exit 186 of I-80 (Central Truckee)
far-east Gateway / far-west Brickletown

}

Villager Hours

Summer Hours

OPEN Mon-Sat 9:00am-5:00pm
Sunday 10-3
Hours are always weather permitting.
If you need something, please call or e-mail and leave us a message.

}

Northeastern Garden Book

$32.46

Paperback – February 1, 2001

by Anne Halpin

Gardening in colder regions means dealing with early and late frosts, arctic winds, and inhospitable terrain. Sharing knowledge gained from years of gardening in northern Vermont, Lewis Hill provides proven methods for growing abundant vegetables and maintaining a beautiful landscape as you work around even the harshest of winters. With a variety of techniques for extending the growing season, protecting vulnerable plantings, and cultivating cold-tolerant species, you’ll soon be enjoying a thriving garden, no matter how cold it gets where you live.

This book is also available in our store.

Category:
M

Click the image below to vote for Villager Nursery in the
N. Lake Tahoe & Truckee "Best of 2019"

Our brand new site is just being taken live. Some functionality is still being applied. Kellogg Planting Days are 10-2 May 31 and June 1 (max 3 pots <18". Edible / Veggie Gardening Class 10:30-12 Sunday, June 2. See the class schedule. If you have any questions, please call us at 530-587-0771, or email info@villagernursery.com. Thank you for Visiting!

Our brand new site is just being taken live. Some functionality is still being applied.

Kellogg Planting Days are 10-2 May 31 and June 1 (max 3 pots <18"). Edible / Veggie Gardening Class 10:30-12 Sunday, June 2. See the class schedule. If you have any questions, please call us at 530-587-0771, or email info@villagernursery.com.

Thank you for Visiting!

 

 

Current Hours

Mon - Sat: 9:30-5:00
Sunday: 10:00-4:00

Our Location

10678 Donner Pass Rd.
Truckee, CA 96161

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This